Recognizable Traits of the Melancholy personality
Here is what you will notice when you come across someone who has a predominantly Melancholy personality…
(If you’d like to know what your personality type is, you can jump in and take a quick personality test here.
- The Melancholy person is deep and thoughtful, often engaging in contemplation about the state of themselves and humanity!
- They are introverted, listen much more than they talk, and usually come across as serious.
- They are hard-working, persistent and thorough, and never leave a job undone.
- Melancholics show great attention to detail, cross all the t’s and dot all the i’s and enjoy working with lists and graphs.
- This personality type is highly creative, maybe musical, definitely philosophical, and are often genius-prone individuals!
Set high standards in everything they do (Perfectionists)
Sensitive to other people
Melancholics are kind, caring and sensitive to the feelings of others. Because they are good listeners, they can discern what is really going on with people, and offer them support.
Because they care deeply for others and have great compassion, they may becoming self-sacrificing, caring more for others than themselves. This is the most caring friend you could ever hope to have!
Creative and talented
Economical use of resources
Along with their excellent strengths, Melancholics, like every other personality types, also has some less than excellent qualities:
Moody and emotional behavior
Bear grudgesWhen someone has offended them, they may keep quiet and not confront the person, but they will tend to hold grudges for a long time to come.
Gloomy and sad countenance
ProcrastinateBecause Melancholics like to be well-prepared for everything they do, they may procrastinate starting anything until they have everything they need, and this can go on indefinitely to the point that nothing gets started.
Set unrealistic expectations for others
The Melancholy child
The Melancholy child would’ve shown signs of their temperament from babyhood, which we can look at here…
Quiet and introspective
Hardworking and diligent
Creative and talentedMake no mistake, Melancholy children are often hugely talented and creative, often musically-inclined, or they may love creative writing or painting. However, they don’t enjoy the spotlight, so sometimes their talents remain hidden for a long time.
Sensitive and compassionate
Best careers for the Melancholy personality
The Melancholy personality has certain amazing strengths which will lend themselves well to certain careers.
Some possibilities include:
- Accountant or financial career – the detail-consciousness of the Melancholic personality works well where every detail counts and accuracy is paramount!
- Project management – Melancholics have great organizing capabilities so project management is a good choice for them to pursue. They will cross all the “T’s” and dot all the “i’s”.
- Administrative work – accuracy is usually important in admin roles as well. The structured nature of most administrative work fits in well with the Melancholic personality.
- Nursing or medical field – Melancholics are deeply compassionate and sensitive to the needs of others and make caring medical practitioners who pay attention to detail and leave nothing to chance.
- Engineering – once again, their detail-driven and perfectionistic personalities will shine in a career where details are vitally important.
- Researcher- this role will fulfill the need of the Melancholy personality to dig deep, be thoroughly engaged and pay attention to the details!
- Musician/songwriter – Melancholics are often talented musicians and songwriters, and this role will allow their creativity to flourish.
Now that you’ve discovered the special talents of the MELANCHOLY personality, here is the lowdown on the other 3 personality types: